S6 Open University (YASS) Courses 2019-20
Open University Young Applicants in Schools Scheme (YASS) Courses
The registration deadline is Wednesday 4th September 2019
- In collaboration with the Open University (OU) the school offer S6 students the opportunity to follow one OU course in addition to their school based subjects.
- These OU ‘Young Applicants in Schools’ work well alongside school courses and offer the opportunity to study university level work supported by OU learning materials and an OU tutor.
- In order to study an OU course you must be absolutely committed to working independently and must have the prior approval and a recommendation from your Guidance Teacher.
- You would be required to commit to a minimum of 5-7 hours of work per week for the duration of the course although this may be greater depending on the course that you choose. It is important to think about your career plans and to choose your school based courses before deciding if you would like to do an OU course.
- OU courses are a very interesting way to learn and can be particularly beneficial if you are planning to apply for any university course after your sixth year.
- Fees for YASS course cannot be met by the school. At the time of writing fees are likely to be covered by the Scottish Funding Council, depending on the level of demand. Further information will be available from your Guidance Teacher but it is advised to apply timeously.
- There are a wide range of OU YASS courses covering many subject areas although these vary from year to year. Courses also vary in duration and time commitment. Full details about the courses are available at –
Please note that not all courses listed on the website are available to pupils at Aboyne Academy so it is important to check the up to date list of courses that the school will support. This list will be available from your Guidance Teacher in May.
If you are interested in following an OU course in S6 then please discuss this with your Guidance Teacher to ensure that this would be a good option for you.
If you decide to proceed, read all the documents below and fill an application form (leaving the financial section blank) and hand in to Mr Foy.